Archive for November, 2009

Lighttpd – Separate log files for each vhost

November 10th, 2009 1 comment

I could not resist digging into my administrative and shell experience when I saw that somebody wrote a php script to dynamically split lighttpd logs. Hmm I use php for more complicated stuff.

I achieved this by putting the following into lighttpd.conf

accesslog.filename          = "|/usr/bin/"

Read more…

Automatic image sizing with static delivery – WordPress Enhancement

November 5th, 2009 No comments

Recently I got fed up trying to convince the operators of a client, for whom we had implemented a wordpress site. The operators, even after we repeatedly asked to upload only relevant sizes for certian positions, were trying to make one size fit for all. Hell, places where thumbnails of 1 to 2K would suffice, were being used up by 30K images, resized by our theme constraints. We were running wordpress on lighttpd.
Read more…

Categories: Code Snippets Tags: ,

JSON feed for WordPress

November 2nd, 2009 No comments

Pretty simple, really. Adds a new type of feed you can subscribe to. Simply add ?feed=json to anywhere you get a normal feed to get it in JSON form (but with a cutdown version of events).

Version 1.1 added support for JSONP. To get a JSONP response instead of a normal JSON structure, simply add jsonp=callbackName to your query, where callbackName is the name of the function to be wrapped with.

Author: Chris Northwood
Download: WordPress Plugin Repository

Short PHP twitter-counter

November 2nd, 2009 No comments

While strolling around I found some bits and pieces which I put together to get a short twitter counter in php.

$json file_get_contents("");
$data json_decode($jsontrue);

Nothing more to write now..

Speeding up WordPress home page

November 2nd, 2009 1 comment

After about an year, since we launched Asianet News Portal the home page with all the complications had started to show a dead slow performance, and by using our Query Profiler, I could identify the bottleneck as the number of queries, and wordpress itself was telling the status as 48 queries in 6.344  seconds. Now this was a whopping value, and when the latency of 2 to 3 seconds is added to this, the initial html load would be in 9 seconds. Making the total site complete load in about 53 seconds. One can imagine the agony I was feeling, after all the work I had done to get backlinks, and if users who are visiting the site is just running away without waiting for the site to load, then I better not run the site atall.
Read more…