Kerala’s First GNU/Linux Install Fest
Gnu/Linux Users Group – Trivandrum, Free Software Foundation of India, Space-Kerala and Zyxware Technologies together presents the first Gnu/Linux Install Fest in Kerala.
Date: 12 April 2008, Saturday
Time: 9AM – 6PM
The event will contain:
1. Talk on Free software by Dr. V. Sasi Kumar, Board of Director, Free Software Foundation of India.
2. Gnu/Linux Installation.
3. Distribution of Gnu/Linux CD’s.
4. Presentation on Free software.
5. Distribution of articles related to Free Software.
6. Gnu/Linux Games.
7. Gnu/Linux demo.
8. Quiz on Free software.
Users can bring in their PC’s, both Desktop and Laptop. Users bringing their desktops can bring in the Tower(CPU) alone.
Our state Kerala is one of the biggest promoter of Free Software. Kerala’s schools run Gnu/Linux (IT@School) on their computers. And is the first state to conduct IT exam using Free Software alone. Oruma is a web based billing system developed by KSEB entirely using Free Software. Free software gave Secratariat freedom from computer viruses and frequent software check routines(formating and reinstallation) of the operating system. They didnt have to format the computers for the past 8 months, which increased their productivity and saved a lot of time running after unstable operating systems.
Free Software gives the users the neccesary freedoms to:
* The freedom to run the programs for any purpose(freedom 0).
* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs(freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbour(freedom 2).
* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits(freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
Free Software is a must to ensure software Freedom. It gives you an option to study and make changes to the already existing programs thereby allowing you to adapt the program for your use. Free Software, Free Society.
Ubuntu will be installed by default for novice users. The current settings or currently installed operating systems will not be affected. Other flavours are also available.
Contact: Anoop Jacob Thomas / 9846670945